Home > software > Creative destruction

Creative destruction

February 16th, 2012 Leave a comment Go to comments

There are days when I just hate society, capitalism, …, and sometimes I have a bad day 😀
Today is one of the latter once.

The mission was to stop facebook from tracking me. The solution I found after a while is a nice firefox add-on, called Facebook Disconnect. I hope this extension does its job. Additionally, I disabled third-party cookies. (The “don’t track me” option in FF was already enabled.) For the record, there is also a large list of URLs of facebook available, which nerds might use to update their hosts file with nice 127.0.0.1 data. And the c’t magazine published a FAQ for privacy setting for and around facebook.

Because that was so much fun, I added the following two extensions Google Disconnect and Twitter Disconnect, too. BTW: all three extensions are written by a start-up founded by an ex-google employee and should be available for chrome and safari, too.

So, I wish all of you happy browsing without some of the global spies behind your backs.

My next project will be to find out, whether it’s illegal to tape “security”-camaras, or not. I have already a few targets, e.g. in front of my apartment, in the office kitchen, subway (the fast food), german buses, streets, … These black hemispheres are contaminating my privacy.

1. February 16th, 2012 at 10:07 | #1

If you’re that paranoid, why not simply use Tor? There is a browser bundle that gives you much better anonymity: https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Also, what search engine are you using? I hope not Google 🙂

2. February 16th, 2012 at 10:11 | #2

I totally install the addon right now

3. jens
    February 16th, 2012 at 16:44 | #3

@jupp
    Yes I’m paranoid, but my wish for a little bit privacy has nothing to do with it. When I would have the need for TOR, I would use it, but not right now.
    And yes I use google, just because a lack of better search engines. But I’m open for recommendations. And I have no problem when google records my steps on they websites/services, but I have a problem when they, or facebook or any other datamining service which deals with personal information, see which websites I visit.

4. Lukas
    February 17th, 2012 at 16:38 | #4

I prefer the hosts-methode when it comes to facebook.

@cameras
    Maybe there is something like http://www.orwell.at so you dont have to tape them all again 😉

5. jens
    February 19th, 2012 at 20:40 | #5

@Lukas
    But with the hosts-methode you won’t be able to use our fake-account on facebook 😉
    Thanks for the orwell link, nice project.

6. Lukas
    February 20th, 2012 at 01:00 | #6

@Jens
    Why should I use a facebook-account? And how can you be shure, that Facebook is not able to connect that account with you?

1. No trackbacks yet.